Tuesday, December 31, 2013

The Good & Evil Bar Revisited


I can't believe I ate half a large chocolate bar in one sitting. Actually, I can, because it was the Good & Evil Bar.

Not long ago, my brother and his girlfriend asked me what my favorite chocolate is. I hesitated, thinking about all the chocolates I have tired. The ones from LeNotre in France stood out, of course, but there have been so many great chocolates in my past. There's something about the Good Evil bar, though, that makes it stand out as the best of the best. It's the texture, the flavor, the balance and the story behind it.



I love synchronicity. The day I got my best ever present: a gift bag filled with the Good & Evil Bar and a box of Eclat truffles, Sue Ann Gleason at Chocolate for Breakfast posted something on her facebook page about how she had just spent $20 on the very same Good & Evil Bar. I reassured her that she's not the only one who would spend that amount on chocolate and gave her the link to my review in which I admit that I would quite willingly purchase this bar again (and again) if I had the extra cash. In fact, I'd probably pinch and scrape in order to make the purchase.


Even opening the bar is a treat. It's packaged so nicely with bright red foil inside an elegant black box. There's a blurb and photo of each of the three creators of this bar: Anthony Bourdain, Christopher Curtin and Eric Ripert.


The aroma of the chocolate is enticing. My mouth was watering when I ripped open the foil package.


Oops, I couldn't resist a bite before sitting down. Mmmmmmm


Normally when I'm sampling chocolate, especially for the first time, I don't dunk it in a hot beverage. This is a habit I picked up from my mom, though, so I'm not opposed to dunking my chocolate into hot liquid now and then. I like it both ways, either served at the appropriate temperate or very briefly dipped into something hot. Do you dunk your chocolate? A friend of mine was nearly irate when I told her about this tradition. She insists that I'm crazy and that no chocolate should ever be dunked.


A BIG, big thank you to my friend L for getting me this most generous gift, and another thank you to her mother for her help with it. I can't even explain how much I have enjoyed these chocolates. I am so very touched by this gift.

No comments:

Post a Comment